Looking to beat the heat? Then come out to Geronimo Trail Guest Ranch for a Gila National Forest summer vacation. The common perception of New Mexico in the summer is that it is a hot desert. However, Geronimo Trail Guest Ranch is located beneath the tall Ponderosa pines in the cool higher elevations of the Black Range Mountains of southwest New Mexico. Not only are we in the forest and mountains, but warm spring waters flow through canyons we ride through. We make sure that every picnic ride we go on takes you to a place where you can take a dip and cool off. And with very low humidity, daytime high temperatures remain comfortable. So what else can you expect during your Gila National Forest summer?
Gila National Forest Summer
- No crowds! Geronimo Trail Guest Ranch still has availability for mid-June through mid-July. We are a small, family run guest ranch. There are only 4 cabins and maximum capacity of 16. If you are looking for an escape from it all, this is the dude ranch for you!
- Wildflowers! One of our guests favorites is the prickly poppy. Fields of these beautiful white flowers are blooming in full force in June and July. They make for a picture perfect photo opportunity. Wildflowers of all shapes, sizes, and colors flourish during a Gila National Forest summer.
- Riding through incredible canyons! Taylor Creek and Beaver Creek meet to join the East Fork of the Gila River and all three waterways twist and wind their way through canyons. A must see spot for all our guests is what we call The Narrows. It is a narrow canyon where our horses can splash through and cool down while you gaze at the rock walls around you.
- No Gila National Forest summer would be complete without swimming in warm spring fed creeks. Every picnic ride we take you on includes a stop by a creek or river. Because warm springs feed our area, the water is always a constant temperature (around 72 degrees). Perfect for cooling down! Whether you want to dip your toes or immerse yourself, the crystal clear warm spring waters of the Gila National Forest welcome you.
- Cool mountain breezes and low humidity! No need for air conditioning here. Even if the temperature climbs into the 80’s and 90’s during the day we get a big temperature swing and it cools off at night. Nighttime temperatures are typically 50-60 degrees. Sleep with your window cracked open while the sounds of the Gila National Forest summer night relax you to sleep.
- Clear starlit nights! The Gila National Forest is over 3 MILLION acres. Wilderness surrounds you and the night skies are truly a sight to behold. The complete lack of light pollution as well as very low humidity allows you to glimpse billions of stars. Not only that, you can also often spot the Milky Way and planets as well. Full moon nights are gorgeous as well, with nothing but the bright white moon as your flashlight.
Ready to plan your Gila National Forest summer vacation? Contact us today and beat the heat in the Gila this summer!