Our dude ranch in New Mexico is located just off the Geronimo Trail, one of the Scenic Byways designated by the state . Accessible via good roads, we are 4 hours from either Albuquerque or El Paso airports, 2 hours from Truth or Consequences traveling though high desert, rolling plains, and magnificent forests. Even though our address is Winston, we are approximately 1.5 hours beyond this point.
** Please be advised that GPS does not work to find our location as it will take you down unmaintained roads, so you will want to print these directions and bring them with you. Click Here for Printer Friendly Directions
General Directions to Our Dude Ranch in New Mexico
Take Interstate 25 just north of Truth or Consequences (known locally as “T or C”) to exit 83, and turn northwest on New Mexico route 181. 2.2 miles later, turn west on New Mexico route 52 toward Winston. Watch for roadrunners, antelope, mule deer and buffalo along the way.
At Winston, Route 52 turns north for another 9 miles. This is open range, and it is common to have cattle grazing along the roadside; caution is advised, particularly at sundown. At the intersection of route 52 and route 59, turn west onto route 59 and travel 31 miles to Beaverhead. (Don’t be disturbed by the sign that says “No services for 121 miles.” We’ll be glad to host you.) You will cross the Continental Divide along the way, then, at the meadow near the Beaverhead Work Station where the pavement ends, turn left onto a well-maintained gravel road. This is NM Route 59 west. In 1/2 mile, NM route 59 turns to the right – DO NOT TURN – you will continue on straight towards Wall Lake. As you pass this intersection, you will see a sign for the Geronimo Trail Scenic Byway on your right. Continue on south and at 7.2 miles south of the beginning of the gravel road, you will cross the bridge over Taylor Creek at Wall Lake. Continue on another 0.9 miles to the ranch, which will be the second gated drive on your right.
The ranch is located 8.4 miles south of Beaverhead, just a mile past Wall Lake. Watch for elk, wild turkeys and coyotes along this road. At Wall Lake, see if you can spot one of the several bald eagles which nest there.
From: Albuquerque, NM
- Drive south from Albuquerque on Interstate-25 towards Truth or Consequences, New Mexico.
- Take exit 89.
- At the end of the ramp, turn right and then immediately left onto NM 181.
- Travel south on NM 181 approximately 2.9 miles and turn right onto NM 52.
- Travel away from the valley and toward the Black Range mountains. Cuchillo is 6 miles from the intersection, and Winston is 28 miles.
- At the Winston Store, continue on NM 52 which turns right, and drive 9 miles to the junction of NM 59, leading directly toward the mountains.
- Turn left on NM 59 and follow it for 31 miles to the Beaverhead Forest Service Work Station, where the paved road ends.
- It takes about two hours to drive from Truth or Consequences to Beaverhead.
- Where the pavement ends at Beaverhead, turn left continuing on NM route 59 west.
- In 1/2 mile, NM route 59 turns to the right – do not take this route, which goes to Snow Lake to the west.
- Continue straight, south towards Wall Lake. You will see a sign for the Geronimo Trail Scenic Byway on your right.
- Continue on south, at 7.2 miles south of the beginning of the gravel road, you will cross the bridge over Taylor Creek at Wall Lake.
- Continue on another 0.9 miles to the ranch, which will be the second gated drive on your right.
- The ranch is located 8.4 miles south of Beaverhead, just a mile past Wall Lake.
From: El Paso, TX
- From El Paso proceed north on I-10 to Las Cruces, New Mexico, and take I-25 north at the junction.
- Proceed north past Truth or Consequences, New Mexico.
- Take exit 83.
- At the end of the ramp, turn left onto NM 181 and cross under the I-25 overpass. Travel 2.2 miles on NM 181, past the turnoff to the Municipal Airport.
- Follow the directions above.